The Summer 2022 Jr Camp Counselor application will be available soon!
What is a Jr. Camp Counselor? The Junior Camp Counselor Program at the High Street Arts Center acts as a training ground and mentorship program to those who are looking to work toward a larger leadership position at the theater, specifically with the Team HSAC Program. In the program, the Junior Counselors will work and train with the Camp Staff, developing skills, techniques, and management skills for working with young children. Camp is offered to youths ages nine to seventeen. This summer the camps will be working towards a production of Lion King Jr. After auditions, the camps are divided into two groups. Jr. Counselors will be assigned to a camp that they will be responsible for. They will work with the Camp Staff to help their campers build to both a successful camp experience and performance.
Who can be a Jr. Camp Counselor? Any teen who has completed grades 10-12. Priority will be given to anyone who is either:
- a Moorpark Unified School District Student
- has participated in a previous Team High Street Camp
- has participated in a previous High Street mainstage show
When is Camp? Camp takes place from June 13 to July 22 with performances on July 22-24. Camp hours are Monday through Thursday 10:00-2:00. The week before tech week and tech week have additional hours.
Where does the camp take place? Both of the camps take place at the High Street Arts Center Complex. The camps rotate from being in the Theater (45 High Street), Studio 61 (61 High Street), and 33 (33 High Street).
Why should I be a Jr. Camp Counselor? Experiences and work/leadership roles such as this look impressive on a resume when applying to both colleges and jobs. Serving as a Jr. Camp Counselor will give you:
- Leadership Experience
- Teaching Experience
- Work Experience
- Opportunities to Meet New People
- Opportunities to Learn New Skills
- Opportunities to have LOTS of FUN this Summer!
Is there any pay involved with being a Jr. Camp Counselor? Jr. Camp Counselors can earn up to $500 for the summer. In order to receive the full amount of money, you must: 1) show up each day of camp you are assigned; 2) arrive on time each day; and 3) stay until the Camp Administrator dismisses you each day.
What would be my time commitment and responsibilities as a Jr. Camp Counselor?
- Submit a complete online application on time – late applications may not be reviewed.
- Attend the training session on Saturday June 11
- Show up on time for every day of camp you are assigned. You will be required to arrive 30 min before camp starts.
- Stay until the Camp Administrator dismisses you every day. Clean-up lasts 30 min after camp ends. There may be additional time required each day to prepare for activities the following day.
- As a Jr. Counselor, you will:
- Assist Camp Staff in teaching the campers all areas of Musical Theater
- Review music, choreography, blocking, and lines with campers
- Assist backstage during all performances
- Help with set-up and cleanup each day
- Work with Camp Administrator to help sign-in and sign-out campers
- Coordinate and play theater games to develop campers’ skills
- Supervise campers and keep them safe
- Answer questions
- It is very important that every counselor shows up every day. If he/she does not, the success of the camp is jeopardized. If you are sick, you must notify the Camp Administrator as soon as possible.